Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Carpe Diem

Almost every day I see the same janitor on the hall of my dorm, either cleaning the bathroom, showers, or staircase. Every time I see this lady, she always has a big smile on her face and greets me good morning. At first I didn't really think about it, but now that a couple months have passed, this inspires me. If she can put a smile on her face and enjoy cleaning up after us all day long, then I should be able to do the same. Even though I think I have it hard sometimes, it must be really hard for her to look at us every day and think about all the oppurtunities we have ahead of us. This one lady is starting to change my whole outlook on college. I need to enjoy it as much as I can, because these are the best years of our lives. I want to make the best of it now so that I don't look back one day full of regret. I need to seize every day. We all need to seize every day, as if it were our last.

4 comments:

  1. I love the optimistic outlook. Things always seem brighter when you're able to find the good in everything you see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea as well, one of my friends from back home got carpe diem tatooed on his ribs. i also think the concept of making the best of the time we have left here at uva while we still have the opportunity is a good one because it is something we will be proud of for the rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the cleaning lady in Metcalf! She always has a good attitude. She is definitely a good reminder to stay positive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cleaning lady in Emmet is the same way. I totally agree with your idea. You should watch the movie "Pay It Forward", it is the little things that matter. Opportunity is knocking on our doors and it is up to us to get off our lazy butts to open the door.

    ReplyDelete