Monday, October 19, 2009

Athletes vs. Non-athletes

Recently, my friend was in a disagreement with another one of my friends about something I don't even remember, and she made the comment "Well I'm right because I got into this school cause I have brains, not muscle." This is the kind of thing I hear over and over again, and it is really starting to get on my nerves. Regular students don't understand how much hard work it takes to be a student athlete. Yeah, a lot of athletes get into UVA with average grades, but that is because we have devoted a large part of our lives to performing on the field. You can't always be great at everything. While regular students probably had all kinds of time in high school to be studying, athletes spend most of their free time practicing, playing games, and working hard to get better so that they can play at the next level. At UVA, we not only have to attend our classes and study for tests, but we have to practice everyday, go to study hall and tutoring, and prepare ourselves for games. Regular students always say how easy athletes have it, but juggling a sport and academics is very challenging. No one will ever understand until they are in our shoes.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with erica 100%. Being a student athlete is something that is very challenging and not everybody can do it. I do not think it is fair for people to just judge athletes unless they know exactly what we are going through. I am not taking anything away from people who are really smart but i do not like being looked down on just because i am an athlete. It is not like we are taking different classes from regular students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most non-students athletes don't fully understand how little our free time is. I can see why they think we have it easier, but thats only because they hear how our grades were in high school. Regardless of our grades in high school, your definitely right Erica, we're here doing the same work with much more on our plate then just school.

    ReplyDelete