Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Safety On College Campuses

After recently hearing about the VA Tech student, Morgan Harrington, it got me thinking about safety on college campuses. This young girl was last seen outside of JPJ, where she then went missing. Her wallet was found in the JPJ parking lot, and I have heard from numerous people that her body was acutally found. While she allegedly had been drinking and was walking by herself, I still don't understand how all of the security outside of the Metallica concert could miss this.

Are college campuses targets for criminals/murderers? I feel as though this type of thing could happen anywhere at any time on our campus. The trolley runs from downtown and all the way through campus, allowing anyone to ride in and out of our campus throughout all hours of the day and night. It is a little scary to think that nearly anyone has access not only on to our campus, but into our buildings/classrooms as well. I know JPJ requires a student ID for entry, but as far as I know almost every other building on campus is unlocked. After the horrible massacre at Virginia Tech, haven't we learned our lesson? I think that all schools should think about having better security on campus. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. This is also something that concerns me. One thing that I must admit I am not fond of about the layout of Grounds is how accessible it is to the rest of Charlottesville. It is not that I want our University community to be sequestered from the rest of the city, but it is a little unnerving when I do consider that anyone can ride on the trolley, etc.

    But then again, I have been to Virginia Tech's campus many times, and they are definitely a huge school in a small, sheltered community. Blacksburg does not even have a Wal-Mart! Unfortunately, I think VT is proof that any sort of crime can happen anywhere--even in seemingly safe areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wall protect you, but in the same way it imprison you!!!!
    More security is not the solution; it is just more difference between people. We must look and work at the roots of people and intervene before someone don't see another way as violence.
    The reason for aggressive behavior is unsatisfied necessity

    ReplyDelete