Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Legalization of Marijuana

With our economy struggling, we are in dire need of a major change that could get our country out of this "rut". I honestly think that the legalization of Marijuana could be the answer.

No matter what anyone believes, lets be serious...legal or not, people will always find ways to sell and use Marijuana. As long as Marijuana is illegal, people will depend on dealers to supply them with their weed. This means that all of the money put into buying Marijuana is going in the hands of drug dealers across the country. However, the legalization of this drug would allow the money to be put into our economy. We could also tax Marijuana and make even more of a profit. In addition, we could save tons of money that we spend on prisons and arresting individuals on Marijuana charges. One website I came across puts this into perspective...

http://www.artipot.com/articles/365232/marijuana-arrests-feed-insatiable-u-s-prison-system.htm

Marijuana Arrests Feed Insatiable U.S. Prison System By Gregg Hall

"The website of the Marijuana Policy Project notes that: "Federal government figures indicate there are more than 41,000 Americans in state or federal prison on marijuana charges right now, not including those in county jails. That's more than the number imprisoned on all charges combined in eight individual European Union countries.""

Another reason I am all for legalizing Marijuana is that it will reduce violence on the streets. It is proven that the drug markets cause violence, often when people refuse or are unable to pay for the drugs they are given. Taking Marijuana off the streets could definitely create a safer environment for everyone.

The highly debated topic of whether or not Marijuana should be legalized remains controversial. While I do realize there are positives and negatives to this idea, as there are for any idea, I believe the pros significantly outweigh the cons.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with what erica is saying because no matter what people are gonna always be using marijuana so the government might as well make it legal and try to make a profit off of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Well, I'm thinking, yes there are many reasons why legalization of marijuana could help our country. Now, what about the negatives? What is the argument for keeping it illegal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the main argument for keeping it illegal is that it can have negative affects on your brain. But that is not a legitimate reason to make something illegal, because alcohol has negative effects on your brain and liver, and cigarettes have negative effects on your lungs. Also, they are more addictive than weed. So if those substances are legal, why can't marijuana be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erica,
    Your point is well made. What about narcotics? Should they be legalized too? What if all drugs were legal? Would we end up with a lot more people addicted to drugs, driving under the influence of something, and/or with more health problems? I wonder, should we have all or nothing? I don't understand how we decide where to draw the line on what substances are legal and which ones are not. Might be an interesting research topic...

    ReplyDelete