"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." (The Perks of Being A Wallflower; Pg 2)I came across this quote while reading The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and it really struck me. This one sentence pretty much sums up my college experience so far. Making the transition from high school to college has been a roller coaster ride. I love being independent and taking care of myself, but I often find myself reminiscing on old times and missing friends and family. I miss my bed, my dog and having my parents there whenever I need something. I miss being able to come home from school and take naps until my parents came home and made a nice dinner. Living on my own has been bittersweet. It hit me the most this past week when I got sick. I no longer had my mom there to make me breakfast, get me medicine, or take me to the doctor. It was up to me to get on the bus and go to the doctor. I no longer heard my moms voice telling me I would be okay--instead I read these words in a text message. It definitely didn't feel the same.
Playing a sport in college has also had its ups and downs. I love playing soccer for UVA. It feels great to be on the field in front of a huge crowd, having people cheer for you and signing autographs for little kids after the game. But I frequently find myself exhausted from practicing everyday on top of school. It has been a struggle getting accustomed to everything. When asked how I like college and UVA, I often don't know how to respond. I am hoping that once the semester winds down and I am more used to everything that I begin to enjoy college more, but as for now I definitely have mixed feelings about everything.
Hi Erica,
ReplyDeleteWell, I see the binary oppositions in your posting. I suppose moving away from home isn't all bad, or all good. So, there you are some place in between. And, you got sick! I do hope you are feeling better. Hang in there!
I also have mixed feelings about my experience so far during this fall semester. Juggling academics and a varsity sport here is definately more cahllenging than I expected. It's also more difficult to make friends outside of athletics than I thought. I have great suitemates but I've found that becasue of track and field, I am unable to attend clubs meetings that I am interested in. So most of the time, when I do interact with people who are not on sports teams, it's when discussing topics in my ENWR class or walking to bus stops with people I don't remember their names. That's embarrassing. But hopefully things get better when the semester draws to a close.
ReplyDeleteYou have many binary oppositions in your post. You love to play soccer in front of the crowd; it's energizing. But once it's time to put your mind to work, you realize your exhasuted from being constantly on the go.